Analytics firm Flurry has published some more stats on mobile apps usage in the US. They include some good stuff on how long people are using apps for every day, and which kinds of apps they’re using.

The topline: in December 2011, the average US smartphone owner used apps for 94 minutes a day. That figure has risen steadily over time: 43 minutes in June 2010, 66 minutes in December 2010 and 81 minutes in June 2011.

Flurry has also broken this down by app category, finding that 49% of this app usage takes place in games and 30% in social networking apps – a combined 79% share. It’s then a big drop to entertainment (7%), news (6%) and others (8%).

There’s a big caveat here: Flurry’s stats don’t include Facebook, which is by far the biggest, most-used social networking app in the US. So social’s share is likely significantly bigger.

“Any way we slice it, Games and Social Networking apps deliver the most engaging experience on the web and mobile today, and set the stage for the battleground for controlling the consumer relationship going forward for all platform providers on all platforms,” blogs the company.

That said, this isn’t great news for the thousands of apps released every week that aren’t games, or the social apps that aren’t Twitter or Facebook. They’re competing ferociously for a relatively small slice of time, even though hundreds of millions of people are using apps.